I recently had the opportunity to join Shep Hyken’s Amazing Business Radio to discuss the importance of Diversity and Inclusion and its impacts on the customer experience (CX). During the episode, you’ll hear us dive deep into several topics such as:
- Why do diversity and inclusion matter?
- How do diversity and inclusion relate to the CX?
- What do you do when you see (bullying, rudeness, or insensitivity) in the workplace?
- When do you step as a difficult situation arises?
- How do you protect employees from racist or other difficult encounters?
- At what point do you say my employees are more important than a sale?
I encourage you to listen and adopt the best practices discussed. Let’s have uncomfortable conversations to drive positive changes for all humans.
- Even though it was just women’s history month it shouldn’t be the only time you think about diversity and inclusion. Good practices around diversity and inclusion should happen every day.
- Anyone can be a leader no matter their gender, race, religious belief, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
- It’s important and necessary for leaders to have uncomfortable conversations around diversity and inclusion.
- Businesses need to get feedback from a variety of customers.
- Allow a diverse group of employee’s voices to be heard.
- Keep diversity and inclusion in mind when dealing with employees as well as customers.
- As a leader when a difficult decision comes up, what’s most important is how you adapt and handle the situation.
- Be a strong leader and address issues of diversity within your team head-on.
“Even if you’re in the back office supporting fellow employees or you’re supporting the server who brings the dish out the guest, you matter, and you have a CX job.” -Stacy
“Whether you’re male or female don’t care teamwork makes it happen.” -Stacy
“Increase your empathy. Walk around every day more empathetic because you’ll see things that you wouldn’t have seen before.” -Stacy
Stacy Sherman: Customer Experience (CX) pioneer, known for humanizing business, leading with a heart, and DoingCXRight® not just talking about it.
Shep Hyken is a customer service and experience expert, New York Times bestselling author, award-winning keynote speaker, and your host of Amazing Business Radio.
What are your views about Diversity and Inclusion?
Have you had a workplace experience that provides valuable lessons? Please share and keep the conversations going to drive awareness and support for colleagues, customers, friends, family, and strangers too.