It’s no secret that happy employees yield better business results. There’s a lot of research indicating customer satisfaction and loyalty rise when employees enjoy their jobs and workplace. They go hand-in-hand. As leadership expert Simon Sinek says, “Customers will never love a company until the employees love it first.
Research shows (work.com):
“69% of employees work harder when they feel appreciated.
79% feel motivated when recognized.”
“51% of workers are recognized once a quarter.” I’ve been in organizations where it’s more like once per year.
I know that creating a great company culture does not happen automatically or overnight. It requires intentional design and ongoing focus. As Thanksgiving approaches (and beyond), take time to express gratitude. It’s in your control!
10 Authentic Ways To Thank Employees:
- Send personalized thank-you notes. Recognize your staff for delighting customers.
- Do something that shows your team they matter. If you don’t know what that is, simply ask.
- Invite teams to an Executive meal (virtual works) based on results & positive customer feedback.
- Publicize awesome work. Compliment individuals & teams on the company website.
- Enable people to recognize each other. Gamify experiences. Tie prizes to customer value.
- Send small gift or balloons to top performers & those with Y/Y improvements.
- Buy lunch for people resolving customer issues daily i.e. customer service reps. survey team, etc.
- Create a CEO video message thanking employees for creating customer promoters.
- Offer a bonus or day off to those who routinely demonstrate customer excellence.
- Feed employees and show up. I’ve seen Executives literally serve happiness at employee Thanksgiving lunch in the cafeteria.
For more inspiration and actionable ideas, watch my interview with Ryan Estis. His true stories will touch the core of your heart as he beautifully portrays a Starbuck barista, Lily, who “pours happiness” every day. You’ll appreciate my interview even more by watching I’ll never forget that cup of coffee. Play it at your workplace and discuss it as a team as you’ll get people engaged and motivated to show up as their best selves.
Doing CX Right Reminders:
- Small acts of kindness go a long way. “People may forget what you said or did, but never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou
- Employees are your heroes. If they don’t feel important, your customers will feel it.
- Don’t wait for formal end of year reviews. If you’re not appreciating employees throughout the year, your competitors will. They’re searching for great talent.
- Don’t overthink it. Thank people everywhere i.e. meetings, LinkedIn “kudos” posts, etc.
- Be empathetic and sincere. Employees know when managers are “checking a box.”
Source: Ashley Johnson
What do YOU do show appreciation in authentic and meaningful ways?